The District of Columbia is NOT where you want to be right now. It gets a bad rap for the crime and the pomposity of its residents but in the last 24 hours, there were:
- Highway closures from burning or overturned vehicles
- Manhole fires resulting in power outages
- Rumors of armed robberies at the new Target in Columbia Heights (the Metro muggings were not from the last 24 hours)
- My co-worker’s apartment was used as a staging area for U.S. Marshals and MPD to take his fugitive neighbor into custody
- Several people lost water last night
- The people who drive my shuttle said the numerous cop cars (and, a co-worker later reported ambulance was present) at L’Enfant Plaza station were for a reported jumper on the tracks. No service disruptions reported on WMATA website, though.
- The Eliot Spitzer story doesn’t really fit in the timbre of these other occurences but has a DC element to it.
- Also not an unsubstantiated rumor, but a darn good graphic in this story about pedestrian safety.