i had told moocow i’d knit him a hat. he likes things that are funny. so i decided to get bold and adventurous and try to knit a modified version of his icon on a hat. actually, i used his old icon and threw a peep on top of it.
me, having only ever done a teeny bit of the intarsia, went whole hog and tried knitting intarsia in the round without thinking about how it would work or how the floats would be at the wrong side of the pattern when i got back, making me float them across 31 stitches. and it was looking bad.
(i call my technique craptarsia)
so i frogged it and googled “intarsia in the round” and found a site that told me to either knit it flat and seam it, or turn it inside out at the end of a round and purl my way back across.
there was some explanation about how to make a seam with a YO which didn’t make sense, so i came up with my own technique:
knit one stitch past BOR marker, slip it back on the needle, and turn the bad boy inside out (or right side out – depending if it was a RS or a WS row) and the seam came out sorta pretty:
and i finished it a little while ago – the tension’s still abysmal and although blocking may take care of some of that, i forgot one thing: HATS NEED TO STRETCH. this doesn’t stretch well.
so even though i like the raglan decreases
the whole thing looks like crap and is too small for most adult heads. and even though he’s a punk, i still won’t give him a crappy lookin’ hat.
sorry moo. looks like i need to do a new design…